Monday, February 07, 2011

To Sir, With Love

Sidney Poitier

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sidney Poitier is a Bahamian-American actor known for roles in films such as "To Sir, With Love", "The Defiant Ones", "In The Heat of the Night" and "A Raisin in the Sun".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Some Interesting Facts
* Though he was born in the US, Poitier grew up on Cat Island in the Bahamas.

* In 1963 Poitier won the Academy Award for his role in "Lilies of the Field". He was the first African-American man to win this award.

* He speaks Russian fluently.

* On June 23, 1967 Poitier was the first African-American actor to place his autograph, hand and footprints in the cement of Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

* He survived Prostate Cancer.

* He has written two books.

Some Quotes from Sidney Poitier
- "History passes the final judgment."

- "I never had an occasion to question color, therefore, I only saw myself as what I was... a human being."

- "I was the only Black person on the set. It was unusual for me to be in a circumstance in which every move I made was tantamount to representation of 18 million people."

- "I'll always be chasing you... Glory."

- "So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness."

- "We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."

The Trailer for My favorite Sidney Poitier movie

No comments:

Post a Comment