Sunday, February 06, 2011

Queen Bess

Bessie Coleman

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elizabeth "Bessie" Coleman was an African-American pilot during the early 1920's. She died, tragically, in a plane crash while practicing for a stunt in an aerial show.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Some Interesting Facts
* Coleman was the first American woman to hold an International pilot's license.

* She got her pilot's license in France due to racial and gender biases in the States.

* She worked as a manicurist in a Barber shop where she learned about airplanes and flying.

* She was part Cherokee Indian on her father's side.

* She was the tenth child out of thirteen.

* During one of her lessons, Coleman watched a fellow student die in a plane crash.

Some Quotes from and about Bessie Coleman
- "The air is the only place free from prejudices."

- "I refused to take no for an answer."

- "Tell them that as soon as I can walk I'm going to fly!"

- "I decided blacks should not have to experience the difficulties I had faced, so I decided to open a flying school and teach other black women to fly." (though she died before she was able to accomplish this)

- "Older brothers and sisters always look for opportunities to challenge the younger ones."

- "My Brother, John, told me he knew something that French women could do that colored gals would never do: Fly an Aeroplane."

A Video on Bessie Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment