Sunday, February 13, 2011

Abolition for an American Slave

Frederick Douglass

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Frederick Douglass is probably one of the most famous African-Americans of the Slavery Era. He worked tirelessly for the abolition of Slavery and equality for every man, woman and child, regardless of race or gender.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Some Interesting Facts
* He was just as interested in Women's Rights as he was in Civil Rights. Douglass even attended the First Women's Rights Convention in 1848.

* Started his own Anti-Slavery newspaper called "The North Star."

* During the Civil War he was a consultant to Abraham Lincoln.

* Was appointed Marshal in the District of Colombia and U.S. Minister and Consul General to Haiti.

* Douglass wrote three autobiographies describing his life as a slave and his fight for equality and human rights.

* In 1884, he married a white woman named Helen Pitts, two years after the death of his first wife Anna Murray.

Some Quotes from Frederick Douglass
- "Without a struggle, there can be no progress."

- "The soul that is within me no man can degrade."

- "I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress" (I wonder how he would feel about the Republican party now?)

- "It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."

- "In thinking of America, I sometimes find myself admiring her bright blue sky-her grand old woods-her fertile fields-her beautiful rivers-her mighty lakes and star-crowned mountains. But my rapture is soon checked when I remember that all is cursed with the infernal spirit of slave-holding and wrong; When I remember that with the waters of her noblest rivers, the tears of my brethren are borne to the ocean, disregarded and forgotten; That her most fertile fields drink daily of the warm blood of my outraged sisters, I am filled with unutterable loathing."

- "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence."

An Excerpt of a Speech by Frederick Douglass, as read by James Earl Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment