Sunday, February 06, 2011

Blinding

Today's song is by Florence and the Machine, one of my all time favorite groups that I only recently discovered last year. And this is my all time favorite song by them. In fact, I'm going to tell you all about my first experience with this song, whether you like it or not. :P

My first real experience with Florence, was standing in my sister's bedroom. I had heard two or three other songs before now, but had been a little unimpressed. I was generally apathetic to the whole group.

I was standing in Hannah's bedroom. It was messy and we were standing on opposite sides of her bed. Noodle, her cat, was lying on the bed.

"You have to hear this song," she says.

She turns on "Lungs" by Florence and the Machine and selects the track. She turns it up.

At first it is quiet and unremarkable. Then a shiver starts and I feel the room coming alive.

As Florence says, "Felt it in my fists, in my feet, in the hollows of my eyelids." I felt it too. It was as if someone had set a poem of mine to music. It was as if the music was pouring into me and expanding outward.

I could feel it; physically, emotionally, metaphorically, etc...; pounding in my chest and my feet and my fingertips. I was haunted and a scream filled my lungs, but it fled through my pounding chest.

I don't know how else to explain it.

Maybe I'm too emotional, maybe I am insane. All I know is that I experience music like it is a sexual experience, like I'm meeting God on some Nirvana inspired plane, like everything I am and will ever be is that one song.

So, without further ado, turn your speakers up, let the video load and then let the song pulse through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment