Thursday, February 24, 2011

Beauty is in the Eye of the Entrepreneur

Madam C.J. Walker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Also known as Sarah Breedlove, Madam C.J. Walker was an African-American entrepreneur who created various beauty products and hair products.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Some Interesting Facts
* Walker has been inducted into the Junior Achievement U.S. Business Hall of Fame, the National Cosmetology Hall of Fame, The National Women's Hall of Fame and National Direct Sales Hall of Fame.

* Invented a method for straightening "kinky" hair in 1905.

* She is listed in the Guinness World Book of Records as being the first woman to become a millionaire by her own work.

* In 1910 Walker moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, where she built a factory and established her headquarters.

* Made the largest contribution to saving Frederick Douglass' house in Washington D.C.

* She died on May 25th, 1919 from complications of Hypertension.

Some Quotes from Madam C.J. Walker
- "I am a woman who came from the cotton fields of the South. From there I was promoted to the washtub. From there I was promoted to the cook kitchen. And from there I promoted myself into the business of manufacturing hair goods and preparations….I have built my own factory on my own ground."

- "I got myself a start by giving myself a start."

- "I had to make my own living and my own opportunity. But I made it! Don’t sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them."

- "I am not satisfied in making money for myself. I endeavour to provide employment for hundreds of the women of my race."

- "There is no royal flower-strewn path to success. And if there is, I have not found it for if I have accomplished anything in life it is because I have been willing to work hard."

- "Perseverance is my motto."

Educational Video about Madam C.J. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment