Friday, December 09, 2011

Who Says?

Okay, I'm going to hate myself for this later. I know I am. Oh well. It has to be said.

Who says you're not pretty?
Who says you're not worth it?
You have every right to a beautiful life.

These are a few of the things that are in a song that I, reluctantly, love. The reason I'm reluctant is because of the singer. There have been many songs that I liked and didn't like the singer. I don't mind the singer, per say. I just don't want to admit that I listen to this song on the internet (from which I can't take it back from). Especially since my hubby (Hi Babe!) reads my blog and he's going to tease me endlessly for this.

The song is "Who Says?" Its by... wait for it... Selena Gomez. Yeah, I know.

Got that out of your system? Okay, moving on.

The reason I like this song is because its true. She says a lot of things that need to be said to young women (and men) now-a-days.

You are beautiful.
You are perfect the way you are.
You can do anything you set your mind to.

The whole point is to believe in yourself. If you believe in you, who cares what other people say or do? We tie our self-esteem to sex for love, to whether we look like the girl in the magazines, to whether we are liked by the popular kids.

I am no beauty queen. I'm just beautiful me. And that's all I want to be.

So, Selena, though it is awkward for me to admit that I love this song, thank you. Thank you for speaking to not only the young women my sister's age, but to me too. Its something I need to remember too.

No comments:

Post a Comment