Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Romeo and Juliet Complex

What is so romantic about Romeo and Juliet? I mean, seriously, why do we think of that as being the epitome of tragic romance? Romeo and Juliet's love is so pure, so innocent, so perfectly tragic.

Is it because they die to be together? Is that something we should strive for? Dying together? It adds a new dimension to "'til death do us part", I suppose. However, that brings me to another question.

Is love worth dying for?

Not that I'm knocking love, because it is great to be in love. I love my husband with everything I have inside of me. And I would die for him. If it came down to his life or mine, I'd gladly give mine up. Because I love him.

But that is a little different than killing yourself for someone, I think.

If Donnie died, I would be devastated. Would I kill myself? Would life be completely and totally without meaning after he was gone from it? I'd like to believe that I would continue living, if only because I know that he would want me to. I know that he wouldn't want me to end my life, just because he was gone. Besides that, it is such a waste of life.

Suicide in general, is such a waste of life. I'm not saying that to be harsh. I understand, better than most, the thoughts and the terrible anguish that can often drive one to committing what the Catholics call "the unforgivable sin." But suicide is selfish as well, even if you think you are doing it for the "right reason" (not that there are any 'right reasons' for killing yourself).

And speaking of selfishness, is it selfish to continue living when the person you were madly and truly in love with passes on? Is it selfish to want to continue to live when that person is gone?

Shakespeare was a genius, I will give him that. He created the perfect story, one that still has power after so many years. But the power is more in that we misinterpret it.

Yes, Romeo and Juliet were in love. Yes, they killed themselves to be together.

But Romeo was just "in love" with another girl. Rosalind. And Juliet is thirteen, what the hell does she know about love? I guess, even though it is one of my favorite plays, Romeo and Juliet are really just two teenagers who have an instant attraction to one another. So much so that they decide to get married. Which is really stupid, considering that Juliet is engaged. And not to Romeo.

Then, because Romeo kills Juliet's cousin (which, I don't know about you, but that would kill any romance for me. If Donnie killed one of my cousins I'd be damn upset!) he gets banished. This is where Juliet should've come clean. She doesn't, pretends to be dead and then ends up really dead after Romeo thinks she's dead and offs himself.

To be fair though, Juliet's dying monologue is beautifully written and one of my favorite passages from the play.

"What's here? A cup closed in my true love's hand?
Poison, I see, hath been his timeless end.
O churl! Drunk all, and left no friendly drop to help me after? I will kiss thy lips.
Haply some posion yet doth hang on them to make me die with a restorative.
Thy lips are warm!
Yea, noise?
Then I'll be brief.
O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

It is a beautiful and tragic play. Teenaged love, murder, suicide, secret weddings and ridiculous family feuds.

I have rambled enough, I think. I never did actually answer my own question... Why do we think that Romeo and Juliet is romantic? I don't know.

Because we think that it is true love? Because we think there is nothing purer than the love two star-crossed lovers (aka: stupid teenagers) have for each other? Something to think about, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment