Friday, December 09, 2011

Defying Gravity

I love musicals. I do. I don't know that I've ever said that here though. I can't imagine why I wouldn't though.

I actually got my acting start in Musical Theatre in high school. I played an old prostitute who died on stage in "Oliver!". That was my acting debut, by the way. I died on stage for my first performance, something that stage actors fight to do. It is an honor to die onstage, for those who don't act. It takes a lot of courage and skill to stay dead, especially if you have two people completely forgetting your existence and breaking into song. That was fun.

The next year I played a nun in "The Sound of Music." I even got to play a main nun. Not the one I wanted, but a nun nonetheless. (Ha! See what I did there?)

All of this rambling brings me to the song "Defying Gravity" from the Broadway musical "Wicked." I find this song so inspiring and breathtaking. Sometimes literally, when I'm singing along. I almost have enough vocal power. But that is beside the point.

And as I'm listening to it I think about how I want to fly. I'm ready to try defying gravity. I'm ready to start the new life I have been saying I want. I'm through accepting limits, done staying on the ground because I haven't the wings to fly. Who says I can't fly? Who says I'm not smart? Or beautiful? Who says I can't be who and what I want to be?

I want to be a better writer.
I want to go back to school.
I want to fly! I want to defy gravity and stop stopping myself from leaving the ground.

Defying Gravity - Idina Menzel

No comments:

Post a Comment