Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rest In Peace.

In everyone's life there is one person who makes an impact on who you eventually become. Someone who mentored you and showed you things you had never seen before. I have had many of these people in my life. Many of them teachers, relatives and friends. Today I would like to dedicate this blog to a mentor of mine, Mrs. Judy O'Connor, a librarian at the high school I attended.

Mrs. O'Connor and I didn't get along at first. I thought she was kind of grouchy and annoying. I'm sure she thought the same of me. However, as time went on I discovered that she wasn't what I had perceived at first glances. She was a woman of intellect and pride in her work. She was a lover of literature and encouraged me to read. She held the a book club meeting after school, she participated in the Spell Bowl activities, she held book fairs and invited authors to speak at our library.

It was through her that I met author James Alexander Thom and his wife, Dark Rain. She encouraged me to read at every opportunity, to write. She once suggested that I go into Library Sciences since I spent all of my free time in the School Library checking out books.

A few months ago I saw her. I barely recognized her because she had changed so much. She had had cancer, she said. But she was in remission. I hadn't seen her since, not because I didn't want to, but simply because our paths never crossed. I wish I could've told her what a difference she made in my life before she was gone. Isn't that the way it works, you never get a chance to say goodbye until it is too late? You never get a chance to tell someone that you love them and think about them often, until they are gone from you. Often, permanently.

Dear Mrs. O'Connor,
This is a posthumous thank you. A thank you for all the hard work you performed while I was in school. For your constant encouragement that I further my education, for always being there when I needed someone to talk to. For always showing me more of the book world than I could ever hope to see on my own.

Thank you for introducing me to Mr. and Mrs. Thom and for encouraging me to speak with them, even though I was so shy.

Thank you for laughing with me while on trips to Spell Bowl competitions. Thank you for suggesting books and a degree in library sciences. Thank you for being a strong woman that I never had a chance to properly thank while you were living.

I'm so sorry for that, Mrs. O'Connor. So very sorry for that. I wish I had had the chance.

You were a wonderful woman, a hard worker and a caring person. I will miss you more than I could ever express.

Rest in Peace, Mrs. Judy O'Connor: November 11, 1943 - July 23, 2011.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment