Sunday, July 10, 2011

Commander and Chief

Back in May I purchased some Parisian themed note cards which I sent to random people, for random reasons. One of those cards went to the President of the United States. I had no hopes for a response, I mean, it's the President! He is probably not even going to read my note. It probably will get tossed in the trash anyway, because it has glitter and a picture of the Eiffel Tower on it. After they test the glitter to make sure it is safe to dispose of it, of course.

Donnie and I are preparing for bed. It is 11:53pm and I have to be up early to work my second job. We have just turned out the lights when mon frere (my brother), Chris, knocks on the door.

"Come in," I say.

"So, when did you start corresponding with the White House?" says Chris.

I am thinking that Chris is playing some kind of joke and I am really tired.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"You have an official letter from the White House." He replies.

I sit up and tell him to turn on the light. As soon as the light is on he hands me the envelope and I see the words "The White House Washington, DC 20500" on the envelope, along with my name and address. I am addressed as "Ms."

I quickly open the envelope and read the following letter:

"Dear Sarai,

"Thank you for your kind note. Your thoughtful words join a chorus of millions of Americans who are eager to lead our Nation towards a brighter tomorrow.

"Each day, I am inspired by the encouraging messages of hope and determination I have received from people across the country. With the magnitude of challenges we face, we will only overcome them if our imagination is joined to common purpose.

"The future we leave to our children and grandchildren will be determined by our willingness to shoulder each other's burdens, take great risks, and move forward as one people and one Nation. With your help, we will build on what we have already achieved and lay a new foundation for real and lasting progress.

"Sincerely,
"Barack Obama"

I almost died! I received a letter back from Barack Obama, President of the United States! The only thing that could've been better would have been a phone call or meeting him in person, but I will settle for a letter!

Now, I just feel like I'm dreaming it all, except that I still have this white envelope addressed from the White House, with a watermarked sheet of paper with my name and the President's signature. I'm thinking I need to find a cool picture frame for this pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment