Monday, November 28, 2011

The King and the Clown

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last night I watched a movie called "The King and the Clown." It stars one of my new favorite Korean actors Lee Jun-Ki (aka: Lee Joon-Ki, Lee Joon-Gi, etc.), as well as Kam Wu-seong (who I think is going to be a new favorite of mine) and Kang Sung Yun from Happy Together!

This movie was incredible. Gorgeously shot, powerfully performed and the emotions behind it felt so intensely real.

My only main problem with this movie was the anachronistic language. The use of words like "fuck", "pussy" and "furry clam" were almost definitely not used in early 1500's Korea. The word "fuck" didn't appear in the United States until shortly after WWII. Aside from the blatant use of anachronistic words I loved this movie.

The relationships are tangled, the loves subdued and the views elegant.

If you love history or historic movies (or movies set in historic time periods) you will love this movie (I hope)!

I think the hardest parts for me to watch were when Gong-gil, Lee Jun-Ki's character, was crying. He is so lost in this movie, his body is being passed around for money and he has only one friend, whom he may or may not be in love with.

A touching and beautiful movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you can, check it out from your library or see if it is on NetFlix. If you love Korean films, love stories and history, you will love this film.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Neat post. There is an issue with your site in internet explorer, could check this?
    IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief
    and a huge portion of other people will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.


    Feel free to surf to my webpage - http://ent.sangilcompo.co.kr/xe/?document_srl=14028

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate the compliments. :)
      I will definitely look into the problem, though I suspect it has more to do with Blogger than my blog in particular.

      Delete