Monday, March 26, 2012

Exploration and a Waltz

I was reading through some of the "Blogs of Note" on here and discovered this one called "Missed Connections." If you are like me, you may have heard of the CraigsList section called "Missed Connections," maybe you've even read a few. Apparently this one woman (who also draws) made a book out of them, along with pictures. This one captured my imagination and now I'm wondering if I could use it in my current story or if I should write a story based entirely off of the following paragraph. It is sweet, really.

I like reading the missed connections from Women to Men, because they are decidedly less creepy than the ones Men usually post for Women. Women focus more on the moment and Men focus more on the body. Maybe I'll invest in this book and take story ideas from real life missed connections. Who knows?

"You were wearing an average office suit with an admirably messy haircut. I was the girl with brown curly hair and a blouse with horses on it. We did that awkward back-and-forth shuffle of two strangers trying to pass each other on the street; then you grabbed me and gently swirled me in a mini waltz in the middle of the lunchtime shoppers and angry passersby. I would understand that moment if it happened now – two people sharing a delicate second in a day that hadn't gone to plan. But no, when it happened I was in my awkward early-twenties, so I just frowned, trudged away and hoped no one had noticed. Thanks for making my day."

No comments:

Post a Comment