Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Meaning of Thanks

I used to think I knew what it meant to be thankful. The truth is that you don't know what thankful is until the thing you are most thankful for is gone. Much like love, thankfulness has become somewhat transient in my generation.

Today is Thanksgiving in America. We eat ourselves into a stupor, we watch football, we do everything except be thankful. And then, tomorrow, we try to run over our fellows for a bunch of junk none of us need! The trappings of this world don't make you happy or thankful. YOU make yourself happy. YOU choose to be happy. YOU choose to be thankful.

So, instead of being "thankful" for the 50% you're going to get off that holiday sweater tomorrow, maybe you should be thankful for the sweater you already have?

I keep telling myself that I'm thankful for all that I have. And I AM thankful for what I have. It is more than a lot of other people have. I have a car, a full-time job (with benefits), I am married, I have my own apartment, etc.

But I am most thankful for what I have HAD.

I had a wonderful Aunt, who pissed me off endlessly, but loved me fiercely.
I had a wonderful Memere, who still motivates me, even though she has been gone 15 years this year.
I had a terrible car accident, but it helped make me into the person I am today.
I have had a lot of horrible experiences, but they've all been making me into the Sarai I am.

I am thankful for all the love and support I have received over the years. I don't think I've said "Thank You" enough. For that, I'm sorry.

This next year, I want to be more thankful. Not just for one month. Not just for one day out of 365 days.

Have a happy Thanksgiving to my friends in the USA. Happy Chanukah to all of my friends who practice Judaism. Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment