Monday, November 05, 2012

Because What's Right isn't always Easy

 I kidnapped this from the Facebook page "Support Marriage Equality Across America" (http://www.facebook.com/GayMarriageAmerica) because it so closely echoes a lot my feelings and sentiments and because I am BiSexual and proud of it. Thank you to the person who researched all of this and took the time to write it down.

Also, for anyone who is interested, here is another website that can back up all of it's information about our president!
http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/


This is a long read but well worth it for those that have asked...
What has he done for the LGBT community.

I'm publicly stating my support for Barack Obama.
I haven't gotten political as most pages have been but I will say why I support him and Joe Biden. The first thing is I have heard them speak in person. I have heard their support for the LGBT community at every talk they have had. I have also heard Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. I have heard them on programs speaking against my human rights. I have heard their thoughts. I know you might not like or agree with my opinion and that's fine. Some people will say he only is doing this for the votes. Some people say he has done nothing for the community. I remember what I tell people. I always say I didn't choose to be gay. Who would choose to be treated poorly and hated against. Who would choose to go through so much because of being in support of the LGBT community? Well let me be honest. I'm tired of this community being told to move on the bus of Equal Rights. It's about time that we stood our ground for our seat. I don't see Mr. Obama asking us to move on that bus. I do see Mr. Romney asking us to move to the back of the bus. There has never been a president to say he supports LGBT rights.

So you want to know what has changed for LGBT people since he took office?

2009:
June 17th

Ordered federal government to extend key benefits to same-same partners of federal employees.

June 29th
Hosted first White House LGBT Pride Reception in history.

August 12th
Awarded the highest civilian honor, the medal of Freedom, to Billie Jean King and Harvey Milk.

October 21st
Created a National Resource Center for LGBT elders.

October 28th
Signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. hate crimes prevention act into law.

2010:
January 1st
Ended discrimination based on gender identity in the federal government.

January 4th
Lifted the ban that prohibited people with HIV/AIDS from entering the USA.

March 23rd
Enacted the Affordable Care Act

April 15th
Ensured hospital visitation and medical decision making rights for LGBT patients.

June 9th
Allowed Trans Americans to receive true gender passports without surgery.

June 22nd
Clarified the family medical leave act so that LGBT families were ensured leave from work.

June 22nd
Released Americas first comprehensive plan to prevent and end homelessness which included homeless LGBT youth.

October 1st
Awarded a grant to L.A. Gay and Lesbian community services center to work with LGBT foster youth.

October 21st
Made "It Gets Better Video"


December 21st
Led a United Nations measure that restored "Sexual Orientation" to the definition of human rights.

December 22nd
Signed the repeal of DADT "Don't ask don't tell"

2011
January 20th
Ensured government housing programs can no longer discriminate against the LGBT community.

February 14th
Proposed more funding for LGBT priorities such as HIV/AIDS prevention and education, and bullying and teen suicide prevention.

Declared the Defense of Marriage Act Unconstitutional and announced the administration would No Longer defend it's constitutionality in court.

March 10th
Hosted conference on Bullying Prevention at the White House.

March 31st
Completed an Institute of medicine study on LGBT health. The first of it's kind.

August 18th
Clarified the meaning of family to include LGBT relationships. Helping to protect bi-national families threatened with deportation.

August 20th
Supported lesbian widow Edith Winsor in her suit against DOMA.

September 2nd
Issued guidance to foster safer worker environments for transgender federal employees.

September20th
Implemented the Repeal of Don't ask don't tell.

This doesn't even include what he has done in 2012.
So do I want him in another 4 years. Yes. Why? Because he is changing things. So when you tell me he has done nothing for the community you might want to look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment